In the last few years, Polycarbonate sheet cut to size has increased its demand in the plastic industry due to its versatility, strength, and durability. In modern days it is using in everywhere, from the medical industry to the food processing industry. It has a significant amount of benefits that have made it one of the favorite option among builders, designers, and product manufacturers. This article is for those who are not aware of its nature, characteristics, benefits and uses. So before we are ready to jump into the Polycarbonate cut to size, we need to follow the first step, i.e., what defines a polycarbonate material. So, let’s start one by one.
What defines Polycarbonate sheet cut to size?
Well, Polycarbonate is an amorphous thermoplastic that comes in the market as a transparent sheet. It is considered an incredibly tough material that absorbs a minimum amount of moisture and this property is allowing it to get high resistant towards impact damage and water damage. Not only that, Polycarbonate sheet in Melbourne is a flame retardant element that has high chemical resistance.
As we have said polycarbonate is a thermoplastic, so forms like other plastic material. In the very first step, it starts with a distillation of hydrocarbon fuels and then slowly it transfer into lighter groups, which is called like fractions. The final process is polymerization or polycondensation in which the fractions are combined with other catalyst and produce Polycarbonate sheet cut to size. That is the process of a polycarbonate formation. Though Polycarbonate is classified as thermoplastic, but it has a small difference from an ordinary plastic material.
What is the difference between Polycarbonate and plastic?
Plastic is a synthetic material too, but It won’t be able to beat Polycarbonate, because polycarbonate has superior properties. It is advanced plastic and is replacing commonly used regular plastic these days and has become the suitable alternative option of plastic. We will discuss the factors that make it accessible over plastic. It’s time to touch the ocean of Polycarbonate, so, let’s start.
Polycarbonate sheet cut to size has superior tensile strength than ordinary plastic. Though both the material has long-chain polymer molecules, in polycarbonate, they are bind with each other with a strong bond. Due to this reason, while polyethylene one of the significant products of plastic has a tensile strength in between 0.20 to 0.40 Newton per square millimeter, polycarbonate has a superior tensile strength of 70 to 80 Newton with equivalent dimension. If you calculate it, you will see polycarbonate is almost 200 times stronger than any other plastic material, Polycarbonate sheet cut to size is 250 times stronger than glass material too.
From an applications point of view, weight is particularly a relevant term. The weight of any material is defined by two terms, one is its dimension, and the other is its density. If we consider the term ‘density,’ polycarbonate has high density than any other plastic, i.e., it has a density near about 1.20 gram per cubic centimeter, whereas plastic has a density range from 0.91 to 0.96 gram per cubic centimeter. Therefore Polycarbonate sheet cut to size has the exact weight that is suitable for multiple applications.
Weather and chemical resistance:
One of the essential parts, which defines how many days of service you can expect from your installed material. In the track of the local environment, which can lead to the corrosion of the material, Polycarbonate is the real champion. Depending upon the chemical environment, it has been seen that polycarbonate is very useful for almost every kind of atmosphere, whereas another plastic material is only suitable for the environment, where dilute acids, alkalis and alcohols are present. Therefore Polycarbonate sheet cut to size is becoming an appropriate option for sculpture manufacturer and designers.
Another key point let us give you an example. Suppose you have installed a material in your home’s window, and as times goes on it starts expending over and over on a regular basis. After someday you realize it is destroying your property’s beauty and demanding to repair or new installation which is demanding further expenses. Will you be happy? No one will be happy at this point. The same thing can happen if you use any ordinary plastic material instead of Polycarbonate sheet cut to size. Polycarbonate has thermal expansion coefficient 100 times lower than any plastic. Where plastic has an expansion coefficient between 0.00010 to 0.00022, polycarbonate has 0.0000065. So, think what you will choose for your personal use? A polycarbonate glass or plastic glass.
Now, it is the high time to start swimming to discover the advantages of Polycarbonate. Are you ready? Let’s begin.
Advantages of Polycarbonate
Polycarbonate has limitless benefits; we can’t describe or inform you in one small article. But still, we are trying to show you the key advantages that make it suitable for various applications.
- One point we should consider first is its exceptional strength combined with extensive design flexibility. On an account, Polycarbonate sheet cut to size is 30 times stronger than acrylic plastic and almost 250 times stronger than that of glass materials.
- The next point is molding and finishing. Polycarbonate is smooth to mold and finish than glass. You can heat it to an extreme level near about 150 degree Celsius to make it fit for your purpose.
- It has incredible impact resistance in both, the chemical as well as scratch. For this reason, it is quite challenging to mar a polycarbonate surface. It doesn’t absorb moisture from wet air.
- If you consider the insulation part, clear polycarbonate sheets have more insulating properties than glass. If you want to lower your energy cost, it will show you the path.
- The different formulated Polycarbonate sheet cut to size has higher flexibility range that makes it highly specific for various applications.
Well, we have discovered lots of advantages, but as we know nothing can create long-term impact without any application. As Polycarbonate has created a significant impact in Today’s world that means it has many applications. Isn’t it? So, let’s go into little deep inside to find out those applications like finding coral leaves!
Application of Polycarbonate sheet
Today manufacturers and designers are choosing it wisely for various purposes such as:-
- Polycarbonate sheet cut to size is used to make clear windows of prototype models.
- Clear tube polycarbonate is used to make prototypes sports equipment.
- It has important applications to build machinery guards.
- Nowadays it is considering as ‘bullet resistant’ glass.
- In the automobile industry, it has broad use to make vehicle windows and windshields. It also used to produce vehicle headlights.
- These days it is using to make customized cases of phone and computer.
- Due to its high melting point, it is using in high heat application, such as to make 3D printed models.
- Today what you see as fountain pens, it is made up of Polycarbonate sheet cut to size.
Now one thing we must include here, many people have asked, from where one should buy polycarbonate sheet, i.e., from which supplier, who will ensure the quality at a fair price. As you have completed the entire journey, let allow us to serve you with some extra, hence the primary information that will help you to understand polycarbonate world. Cut To Size Acrylic Melbourne is helping you to understand the polycarbonate better by providing top class material at a low price. Give us a call, and we will supply your desired Polycarbonate sheet cut to size. Call us today.